"I wil sing of the mercies of the Lord forever: with my mouth will i make known thy faithfulness to all generations." Psalm 89: 1

Friday, August 31, 2007

Remember

PEACE OR PANIC?
by Katherine Kehler 
"He who watches over you will not slumber..." (Psalm 121:3 )

Peace and panic cannot occupy the same place. If we are filled with
 fear, we aren't peaceful.

I am not usually a fearful person. My husband has traveled a lot during
 the past 30 years while we worked with Campus Crusade for Christ and
 when I go to bed, I thank God that His angels are around our property. I
 thank Him that He is above us and that He is our foundation. I am
 covered with His protection. And I go to sleep.
 
However the other night I woke after I had been in bed for only an
 hour. I thought I heard someone trying to open one of our doors (we don't
 have an alarm system, we have two big dogs). Our property is on a
 highway, and we have had some interesting people come to our door and have
 also been robbed several times. Needless to say my heartbeat quickened, I
 began to perspire - especially when I remembered that I had not
 checked the windows to see if they were locked.
 
Then the Lord brought the above verse to my mind. "He who watches over
 you will not slumber." I settled down and thanked God that He was still
 watching over us and He didn't need any help and fell asleep.
 
The next day, I checked all the windows, locked the ones that were
 unlocked and let our big German Shepherd sleep in the garage since then.
 
How are you doing today? Do you have any major fears? Are you peaceful
 or fearful? Ask God to give you the grace to believe Him and receive
 His peace. He is all-powerful.
 
~Father, thank You that you never slumber. That You are always watching
 over us. Jesus, You are the Prince of Peace. Come, we invite You to
 invade our hearts with Your peace today. Amen.
 
Questions to ponder: Are you at peace or do you often struggle with
 major fears? How can we overcome the fear that so often raises its ugly
 head?


WHO IS IN CHARGE
by Marilyn Ehle
 
"The Lord reigns... Your throne was established long ago; you are from
 all eternity" (Psalm 93:1-2).
 
The diagnosis is cancer. Earthquakes crumble whole villages. Tribal
 wars devastate a country. A teenager is jailed for drug possession. A
 secure job is lost. Long-held dreams evaporate. Our worlds seem to
 collapse.
 
As Jesus sent out His disciples into the world ? "like lambs among
 wolves"--so He sends us out into both private and public worlds in which
 there is sadness, decay and disaster. We have the choice to fix our eyes
 on events, people and circumstances or claim by faith Jesus' words in
 the midst of those circumstances: "Do not let your hearts be
 troubled...Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you...I am with you
 always".
 
As we resolve to be obedient to "Do not be anxious about anything, but
 in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present
 our requests to God," we find the promise is true: "And the peace of
 God, which transcends all understanding, will guard our hearts and
 minds."
 
The challenge is always before me: will I trust the One in charge?
 
Questions to ponder: So, who is in charge of your life? Do you find
 that you become fearful when something comes up that you perhaps are not
 prepared for?