"I wil sing of the mercies of the Lord forever: with my mouth will i make known thy faithfulness to all generations." Psalm 89: 1

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Is He?

WALKING WITH A BEST FRIEND
by Helen Lescheid

"Friendship with the LORD is reserved for those who 
fear him. With them he shares the secrets of his covenant" 
( Psalm 25:14).
 
As a single on a busload of senior couples, I took my seat behind a man 
and a woman.  Even though I'd felt apprehensive about going alone, I 
had chosen to join the tour. But now I wondered, was this a mistake? 
Would I fit in?
 
As the bus idled, a woman got on. Slowly she walked down the aisle, 
scanning the bus for a seat, then she took the empty seat beside me. Soon 
we were engaged in animated conversation. To my delight, I discovered 
we had much in common. In fact, we were kindred spirits with the same 
interests and orientation to life.
 
What a difference it made to have a friend on the journey! A traveling 
companion to discuss the events of the day with. Somebody with whom to 
share a room. How delightful to rejoice together over a good bargain. 
To laugh together over some antics.
 
In our journey through life, God wants to be our companion. He offers 
intimate and lasting friendship to those who revere him.
 
Imagine, the God of all creation desires our fellowship. He wants to be 
our Friend, our traveling companion. He wants to be involved in our 
journey. To walk with us. To share our joys and our sorrows. To rejoice in 
our discoveries. To laugh with us.
 
"But I don't feel His nearness," you might say. Feelings are not 
reliable, are they? Feelings change with the weather or with how we slept 
last night or with how our day is shaping up. God's Word is much more 
reliable than our feelings. Listen to what he says, 

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he
will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing"
(
Zephaniah 3:17).